Northbound Arctic Voyage 2017
This summer America’s newest sail training vessel, SSV Oliver Hazard Perry will make an historic voyage north to the Canadian Arctic and into the Northwest Passage. The goal of this expedition is to observe, study, and report on how a changing climate and the loss of summer sea ice is affecting the environment, wildlife, and indigenous people.
The mission of OHPRI is to provide innovative and empowering education-at-sea programs that promote personal and professional growth. We can’t think of a more innovative voyage than this new Tall Ship’s 2017 journey into the Arctic Circle. This journey is not only a historic event from which the world will gain powerful knowledge, but also an incredibly empowering experience for the individuals, professional crew and trainees, who get to be a direct part of it.
Berths are now available for adventurous travelers who wish to experience one of the last great untouched places on Earth. This stunningly beautiful polar region is so remote and hard to reach that few people have experienced it. After signing aboard you will become part of our crew, and may find yourself on deck bracing the yards on a starboard tack, or taking your turn at the helm, perhaps steering the ship at sun set. Participants will live aboard a true tall ship and work side by side with professional crew, learning square-rig seamanship on this grand 200-foot, steel-hulled, three-masted vessel.
Our voyage north will take us along the colorful coast of the Canadian Maritimes, before crossing over the Labrador Sea to the fjord lined coast of Greenland, then up across the Arctic Circle to the start of the famed Northwest Passage, Pond Inlet. The destinations on this voyage are vibrant and unique.
1. Arctic Northbound Leg 1 (1 week): Lunenburg, Nova Scotia – St John's, Newfoundland
- Voyage highlights: 570nm of open ocean sailing, overnight sailing, leadership development program, seamanship skills, possible stops in St Pierre & Micquelon
- 5pm Sunday June 25th – 9am Saturday July 1
- $1,700 per person
- Open to 15 yrs and up (please call for adult availability; a limited number of private 2-person cabins are available for an additional $500 pp
- Travel information here
2. Arctic Northbound Leg 2 (3 week): St John's, Newfoundland - Pond Inlet, Nunavut
- Voyage highlights: 2,000nm of open ocean sailing, overnight sailing, leadership development, seamanship skills, possible stops in L'Anse aux Meadows, Nuuk Greenland
- 5pm Friday July 7th – Friday July 28
- $6,000 per person
- Open to 15 yrs and up (please call for adult availability; a limited number of private 2-person cabins are available for an additional $1,000 pp)
- Flight from Pond Inlet to Ottawa $2,600 pp, more travel information here
Our application process will involve an initial online application and follow up phone interview, then if selected you will be sent a link for the registration form and payment processing. Once selected a $500 deposit is due, and the remainder of the balance in two payments; 4/15/17 and 5/15/17: Apply here
* All prices are listed in U.S. dollars
Please note: A PASSPORT is essential for these voyages
If you are wondering how you are going to get to and from one of the most remote places on the planet, don't worry, we've got it all covered, read more here