Medical Officer Position:
Traditional sailing on deck and modern amenities below. Join us as we teach a new generation about Tall Ship sailing and marine stewardship
Medical Officer Job Description: We hope that medical issues are minimal and the medical officer will be primarily a member of the core deck crew, working both on deck and aloft. They will lead the trainee crew members (both youth and adult) in all aspects of shipboard operations.
Medical Officer must hold a valid EMT license with additional wilderness medical training.
- Should be comfortable working on deck and aloft, or below decks, and must be able to safely perform duties as required
- An interest in furthering the educational mission of Oliver Hazard Perry Rhode Island
- Flexible and adaptable to changing environments and schedules
- Able to model good behavior for students and serve as an educator
The Medical Officer also has the following additional responsibilities:
- Maintaining full inventory of medical supplies
- First point of contact for major and minor medical incidents
- Accompanying students on visits to hospital or doctor’s office
- Keeping a record of all injuries aboard and medication administered
- Taking custody of all student’s prescription medication, and recording their distribution.
Positions are full-time, live-aboard. Room and board provided
To be paid, candidates must be US citizens or permanent residents.
SSV Oliver Hazard Perry crew are not permitted to consume alcohol during programs or smoke aboard the vessel at any time, and must be willing to undergo a criminal background check and drug-testing in compliance with U.S. Coast Guard regulations. Crew positions on SSV Oliver Hazard Perry include all aspects of tall ship sailing and good seamanship as well as an ability and desire to educate students of all ages in day and overnight programs. All crew participate in daily housekeeping, routine maintenance, safety drills, and take an active educator role. All crew must be enthusiastic, flexible, and energetic leaders with experience in the industry.
How to apply: Applicants should send resumes and references with a cover letter to Chris Dimock: email@example.com